Solart studio gallery invites established and emerging visual arts and craft professionals artist from across the region and beyond to submit a residency project. We welcome the selected artists following the submission of their residency application for the realization of their research, creation or development projects. These residencies offer artists a retreat in an inspiring rural environment that will allow them to progress their artistic process.
To apply for a residency, you must be an experienced artist who has previously received adequate technical training allowing you to use the spaces of creation and specialized work equipment independently and safely without the need for technical assistance outside the Mentoring sessions and respect the tranquility of the premises and the studio rules of operation and safety.
Duration of the periods of residency offered: from 1 to 8 weeks (arrival Sunday Sunday at 17h / departure next Sunday at 17h
The artist residencies offered at the Solart Art Gallery Workshop include the following resources:
- Unlimited access to a designated workstation of your choice and to the specialized equipment of the room where it is located without reservation every day during the period of residence between 9h and 21h.
- Possibility to let your work in progress at your assigned workstation throughout the period of your residency.
- Access to an individual storage shelf in a large cabinet to store your projects and belongings from the beginning to the end of your residency period.
- Access to a complimentary individual storage space including several shelves by your designated workstation to store your production.
- Access a complimentary designated individual storage space in the kiln room.
- Access to the laboratory and glazing room upon reservation.
- Access to the foundry and finition room upon reservation according to your experience.
- Access to an outdoor work area for lost wax casting, raku and smoke firing upon reservation according to your experience.
- Access to a bathroom.
- Access to free parking.
- Access to the raw materials sales service of the studio according to the current pricing.
- Access to the firing service of the studio according to the current pricing.
- Access to a personalized mentoring service and technical assistance in the realization of your artistic projects upon reservation during your long-term period of access to the studio according to the tariffs in force.
- Access to a computer for research in the office upon reservation.
- Access to a large selection of technical reference documents to consult.
- Access to a free wireless internet connection.
- Access to free recycled clay from the studio upon availability.
- Access to a refrigerated space for your meal.
- Visibility to promote your artistic practice for free on the website and the news-letter of Solart studio Gallery if you wish.
- Opportunity to collaborate to the realization of cultural activities organized by Solart studio gallery.
- Access to a food and variety store within walking distance.
- Access to the Petite-Nation-River within walking distance.
- Access to a catering service that prepares food to take out and deliver in our area.
- Access to a private shuttle service upon reservation to pick you up or drive you back to Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport located 92 km from our property.
WHAT YOU MUST PAY:
- The fee for the period of studio access of $ 75 per day : $ 75 x 7 days = $ 525 per week. This fee is payable in full at the time of your reservation.
- The purchase costs of raw materials if you choose to buy the materials you need for your project at Solart studio gallery. This fee will be charged according to your needs and your use during your period of residence. We invite you to consult the list of raw materials available for sale at the workshop to make an estimate of the total cost of purchasing the materials you will need to carry out your respective project.
- Firing service fees if the realization of your project requires firing and you choose to fire your pieces at our premise during your period of residence. The charges for the space occupied by your pieces in the kiln will be charged to you while the kiln is being load during your period of residence. We invite you to consult the firing service tab to find out how to book the service offered at the studio and to be able to estimate the total service charges generated by the quantity of pieces you wish to fire at the studio during the realization of your respective project.
- Meal expenses, that is, your grocery bill if you choose to buy food at the nearby market and cook your meals in the kitchen provided for that purpose, or the fees of the catering service if you choose to order your meals in advance from «Frigo qui roule» the caterer that is available in our area. We invite you to visit their website to know the available menus and how to book their service in order to estimate your meal costs or place your order.
- The loft housekeeping service fee after your stay at $ 45 if you choose to book a period of artist residency of less than 4 weeks duration. This fee is payable at the time of your reservation.
- The private shuttle service fee of $ 105 per trip if you choose to book an artist residency period of less than 4 weeks and you wish to be picked up or re-directed at Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport located 92 km from our hotel. These fees are payable at the time of your reservation.
WHAT SOLART STUDIO GALLERY OFFERS YOU FREE OF CHARGE TO CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR RESIDENCY PROJECT:
- A private artist loft for students and artists in residence at the Solart studio gallery, offering all the essential amenities for a self-contained stay including a full kitchen with a stove and a large size refrigerator, counters and stools to prepare and enjoy your meals, a closed bathroom with shower and washer-dryer to do your laundry, a desk to work, a storage space, a large bed and a sofa bed for rest. Bedding, towels, toilet paper, dish soap, kitchenware, fan, electric heater, picnic table, Wi Fi and parking
- Recycled clay from the studio on request according to availability to allow you to explore new avenues.
- The loft housekeeping service following your visit if you book an artist residency period of 4 weeks or more.
- Private Shuttle Service Fee if you book an artist residency period of 4 weeks or more and wish to be picked up or driven back to Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport located 92 km from our establishment or another address within the same distance.
Application will be evaluated by our selection committee.
The selection of artists is guided by the following criteria:
- The expression and artistic innovation of the proposals.
- The correspondence between the artistic practice and the mission of the establishment.
- Diversity, complementarity, constructive mix of practices and potential for interdisciplinary development.
- The potential impact of the residency on the advancement of the artistic approach of the artist.
PROCEDURE TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
STEP 1 – DOWNLOAD, COMPLETE AND RETURN DIRECTLY, BY EMAIL OR BY MAIL, THE COMPLETED ARTIST RESIDENCY APPLICATION FORM AND JOIN THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:
- your resume
- your artist statement
- 5 photographs of your recent works.
- the descriptive list including the title, the medium, the dimensions and the year of realisation of the photographed works submitted.
STEP 2 – FOLLOWING ITS RECEPTION, WE WILL EVALUATE YOUR APPLICATION REQUEST.
STEP 3 – IF YOUR APPLICATION IS ACCEPTED, WE WILL CONTACT YOU BY EMAIL TO INVITE YOU TO COMPLETE THE RESERVATION OF YOUR PERIOD OF ARTIST RESIDENCY. WE WILL SEND YOU A LINK TO OUR WEB SITE ALLOWING YOU TO CONFIRM YOUR RESERVATION AND MAKE YOUR PAYMENT.
STEP 4 – FROM THIS LINK, BOOK YOUR PERIOD OF RESIDENCY BY COMPLETING YOUR PAYMENT BY CREDIT CARD, PAYPAL, OR BANK TRANSFER .
Receipt of your full payment covering the duration of the up-coming period of residency you wish to book officially confirms its reservation.